
Do you ever just have a bad day? Occasionally I wake up and find that nothing seems to be going my way. Sometimes it may be from life hitting hard, but mostly it's just a mood. I allow myself to look around at all the things God allows in life that seem hard or unfair or just plain mean. Then I start the self-indulgent pity party. Have you ever been there? (Somebody tell me I'm not the only un-spiritual one).
Anyway, I recently had one of those days. After a while of focusing on the negative, God began to convict me and turn my heart toward Him. He is so faithful. He has done so much for me and in my life and through me. He chooses to love me- even when I don't deserve His favor. He gave His life for me when I was His enemy. So, why do I have the tendancy to question His motives for the things He allows in my life? He uses all things for my good and His ultimate glory. He is Good in all things. He is Wise. He is Loving in His thoughts toward me. Zephaniah 3:17 tells us, "The Lord, your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." I remember these words and all of these truths about God and my heart softens, changes, then turns to adoration.
It's so incredible that fixing our eyes on Jesus and telling Him who He is and what He has done changes us. That's the power of praise. It's impossible to praise the Lord and remain focused on ourselves and circumstances at the same time. I think that's why the psalms are constantly commanding us "let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!"- Psalm 150:6 Praise always brings perspective. Try it sometime. Next time you are down and out or just having a bad day, week, month, or even life, turn to praise. Tell God Who He is and what He has done. You may not feel it at first, but before long your heart and mind will fall in line with the truth. And if that doesn't seem to work for you, try Mary-Michal Linch's (Mike's 11 year old daughter) advice... "Cry me a river, build yourself a bridge, and get over it!" Thanks Mary-Michal for my new favorite quote!
Love ya'll,
Bonnie
No comments:
Post a Comment